After the fire which was caused by faulty wiring, a seven-year-old girl escaped a tragic house fire which killed two women and two boys.

She had been found in the garden suffering from smoke inhalation; but since then, she has been discharged from hospital and is being cared for by relatives.

Brothers Tyler Green, 9 and Jordan Green, 12 died in the fire in North Wingfield on 20 November; and their mother, Josie Leighton, 32, and Claire James, 27, died at the scene.

A post-mortem examination carried in Chesterfield reveals that found all four victims died from smoke inhalation.

The fire service said the blaze was “caused by a fault in electrical wiring between the ground and first floor of the North Wingfield property”.

Area manager Kam Basi of Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire started between floors and spread down to the living room and up to the first floor.

“It was a ‘slow burn’ that gave off a lot of smoke,” he added.

Electrical wiring hidden within the fabric of the building, either in walls or under floorboards can be difficult to inspect. Always used qualified electricians when installing any mains electrical systems and perform regular fixed wire testing to flag up any potential faults.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.