A building which had recently been acquired by Chesterfield’s St Thomas’ Church to help vulnerable people adjust to life off the streets, went up in flames around 12 noon.

An account states that at one stage, large flames were seen shooting from the property and smoke could still be seen billowing from an upstairs room at around 1pm.

Fortunately, all residents managed to get out of the hostel unharmed.

It is believed that the fire was caused by an electrical fault in a fuse box.

Two fire crews from Chesterfield and Clay Cross battled the blaze and worked to clear the smoke from Hope House on Derby Road.

When moving into a new property, whether residential, commercial or industrial, an EICR (electrical installation condition report) will detail any faults with the building’s fixed electrical systems and recommend anything required to bring it up to the current wiring regulations.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.